Saturday 30 October 2010

The Hump with Camel.




Camel. Really? If there was ever a trend to divide the worlds fashion followers it’s that word. Camel. Its sisters are regulars in our wardrobes; beige, brown, cream and even the more distant khaki. But what is it about camel that puts us on edge and start questioning our position in the fashion scene? There is no disputing its predominance this autumn/winter, but will we be missing out by turning a blind eye? No doubt it will be everywhere. The brave will wear it draped around their magnificent bodies in shocking contortion and eye-widening cuts. The classics will wear it, well classically, in the form of a renowned camel coat - a throwback to mothers and grandmothers. Hell, I’m sure the offspring of fashionistas will don a little camel skirt or shift dress. But is that enough to change the likes of me? I find myself veering away from that iffy shade of brown. Oh yes it has been altered to suit the masses in leather jackets, thigh-high boots, even the camel coat has been given new life in more flattering cuts. But I don’t think I could bear the thought of someone saying, “Oh daaaarling, that’s a lovely camel jacket you have there.” The thought makes me shudder. To be honest, I think it’s the name rather than the colour itself, because really it is just a glorified shade of brown.


Two days later…

  This is hard for me to say, but… I’m a camel convert. I found this beautiful camel-coloured (wince) poncho style piece of knitwear in my mom’s wardrobe, wore it out, and have not looked back since this afternoon. There’s no denying it, camel is here to stay, so we may as well just give in to it. Now, I must go and order those taupe… okay fine, camel-coloured ankle boots from the clearance at http://www.asos.com/.

Ps. The camel collection on www.asos.com in definitely worth the use of your 20% NUS student discount!


Love
§


No comments:

Post a Comment